Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

How to build DIY wood picture ledges

These wood picture ledge shelves can be made to length you need and are a great way to use up scrap wood!

Here's where I left you last week and I mentioned that I had a plan for that wall under the stairs:
Open wood staircase

It needed something -- I've had an idea for some time to fill the space and went ahead with it over the weekend. It was just hours before we were expecting company -- I ran to the hardware store for my supplies and threw these together SUPER fast!

I've imagined some simple display shelves along this wall for months. I stuck some painter's tape to the wall to figure out the sizes of each one and get an idea of how it would look. I built three, four and five foot shelves for the wall. I wanted to go down low on the wall as much as possible because it just felt right visually to me. 

To build these you'll need three pieces of wood -- a 1x2, 1x3 and 1x4. You can also make it with a 1x4 on the bottom so it would be a bit deeper. I found the three inch to be fine but if you plan on leaning a bunch of frames I'd go with the four inch:
Easy tutorial for DIY picture frame ledges

I used wood screws from behind to secure the bottom piece to the back. Then I used my nail gun to secure the front trim to the shelf. 

I used wood glue on the front part along with the nails, but it's not really necessary. Just an extra precaution to make sure they don't budge when the frames push against them. But again, the nails would be just fine: 
Read the full post

Post a Comment

0 Comments