I've had an especially busy week with several volunteer projects. What really consumed my spare time, however, was the obligation to Season 1 of Downton Abbey.
For some reason, I missed the first season when it was broadcast on Public TV last year. When they began promoting the second season, I realized that it was a series that I really wanted to see. I had been a fan of the Upstairs Downstairs series years ago and Downton Abbey follows the same premise.
So, I put my name on a waiting list at the local library for the DVD of the series. I was the thirty ninth person in line. As time went by, I checked occasionally to see how I was working my way up the list. The DVD could only be checked out for seven days at a time so the process was still very slow.
The day finally arrived when I got the automated call from the library that I could check it out. The seven-day countdown began and I was pressed for time to watch it. On the fifth day, I sat down and started the first of the seven episodes. It was worth the wait! It didn't take long before I was totally entranced by the entire experience.
I love Maggie Smith in the role of the Dowager! She's an absolute treasure with a wonderfully expressive face that puts many younger actors to shame. It's worth watching the series just to see her performance.
Now, I just have to catch up with Season 2!


0 Comments